March 1, 2012

Food Review - Fogo de Chao

So one of the things I realised today is now that I have this blog, and I go out to eat and drink a lot, I can start doing reviews of restaurants and bars that I go to

Yesterday, I visited Fogo de Chao for the 1st time. I went with a friend for lunch, walked in without reservations (place is really large with plenty of tables) and we were promptly greeted by friendly staff and a pleasant ambiance.

How Fogo's menu works is you have a coaster-like card that signals the Gauchos or Meat servers (giggity) and when you flip the coaster to Green, about 10 gauchos will approach you within 5 minutes, holding different cuts of meat from Top & Bottom Sirloin to Filet Mignon to Pork Ribs and Sausages and Chicken wrapped in Bacon. You can mix and match and load your plate up. What's neat about the meats is that they are cooked to different levels on each side or each piece. For example, my friend had Bottom Sirloin cooked medium rare, which was cut off of a side up top from the spit. I had a well done piece cut from the bottom.

Another neat attraction is the giant salad bar. Now as a strict carnivore, usually the salad bar is just something that I walk past when I'm looking for the restroom, but here, they had a fantastic spread that might even please some of those vegetarian people (maybe). I built a large salad with boston lettuce, mango-tomato type of chutney, cucumber onion vinaigrette, and (the best part) 5 full strips of perfectly cooked bacon. They have over 20 types of toppings to choose from, even a spread of deli meats and 3 types of chicken salad.

I had 5 different cuts of meat (Filet Mignon, top + bottom sirloin, prime rib and Pork ribs) along with the 3 sides they bring to the table (seasoned mashed potatoes, polenta cakes with parmesan and, my favorite choice, fried plantains with brown sugar)

The food was hot, well seasoned and filling. While the ribs were a bit overcooked and dry (naturally, no sauce due to the serving style) the steaks were on point. The servers do a wonderful job of helping to guide you through and if you're looking for a certain kind of meat, just ask and they'll bring it to you. (Looking back, it's kind of like the strip club of restaurants, the way they come around and whatnot)

After a wonderful lunch, I topped it off with a slice of magnificent, freshly made Key Lime Pie (my favorite dessert, by the way), served with a fresh lime syrup lightly drizzled on top, this was a heavenly finish to an exquisite meal.

Lunch time is a fantastic time to check this place out, with the tab coming in around $35 per person, you realise that you can eat a world class steak, and as much as you want of it, for a bargain price. Just make sure you come with an empty stomach, because you'll definitely leave this place full.

I give Fogo de Chao 5 out of 5 Flames (that's the unit of measurement here at CS2H)

Fogo de Chao
645 Hennepin Ave
Downtown Minneapolis
612-338-1344 (make reservations if you plan on having dinner there)

2 comments: