August 16, 2012

that's a Hang Wiff'em...

Hang wiff'em = A baseball term, famously coined by Sox broadcaster Hawk Harrelson; used to describe a hard hit ball that is heading right to a fielder's glove for an out. The fact that a batter hit the ball hard enough to get a base hit, but landed in the wrong spot means it will "hang with" the player, as he thinks about it.

So here's the scenario. It's midnight at a bar in Dinkytown (U of M Campus area, for you non-minnesotans) and I'm there with a friend-girl (described in a previous post) and she talks to some dude who mentioned South America (where she was traveling abroad this summer). Eventually, we get invited to his table, which consisted of (from left to right) a gay dude, a quiet dude, a cute girl, a really quiet dude with gauges, and travel guy. During name exchange introductions, they mention that they live in St. Paul, and the cute girl says she lives in a house over east and is looking for extra roommates next month.

Key Point: she looks at quiet guy and really quiet gauge guy and says those are her current roommates.

So, at this point I'm nodding along and listening. I see her grab both of them beers along with her drink, which seems to solidify the claim of them being just roommates. As time passes, and I know I'm going to leave I casually mention that "I actually have someone moving here soon. My brother is looking to stay around st.paul" The squeeze bunt play works to perfection as she goes, "Here, take down my number". At this point I type the number in my phone, smile, and wish the table a good night.

This seems to have all the makings of a perfect 9th inning rally, so I decide to play offense and go for the winning run. So when I got home, I sent this text:

Me:
"Hey I'm gonna keep it real with you, my buddy isn't moving up here. I said that to see if I could get your number. You're cute and you said your friends were just your roommates so I'm making the bold assumption you're single? If I'm wrong then forgive me and I'll pretend this didn't happen, but if I'm right, I'd like to take you to dinner somewhere at some point"

So, I'm thinking here's the runner advancing to 3rd on the way to home. She replies:

Her:
Goodness, well thank you. I'm actually not single :( the guy sitting next to me in the black shirt and stretched ears is my boyfriend... I'm sorry :(

Out at the plate, ballgame over, drive home safely.

But one giant plus out of this is that she said later:

Her:
You seem like a good guy, don't give up on the bold moves. If I was single, I'd be impressed by your creativity.

But what kills me is how this guy was so distant and didn't look like he was even her good friend, let alone her boyfriend. I understand not being "That" couple, but for the love of pizza, at least look like your dating the damn person next to ya. Because remember, what one dude doesn't appreciate, another dude certainly will.

Anyways, I thanked her and wished her a good night. Not bad for an on-the-fly play. But "That's a hang wiff'em right there."

2 comments: