February 26, 2012

I'm a pizza snob

Self-help groups stress that Admittance is the 1st step.

Hi, I'm Alex, and I am a pizza snob.

Growing up in Chicago, you take for granted at a young age, what good pizza tastes like. Places like Reggio's, Connie's, Giordano's, Gino's East and Ricobene's arnt in every major city, and once I moved away, it became very apparent that I grew up around some of the best pizza I'll find.

During my brief stint as a college student up here, I found comfort in the local Domino's, to the point where the entire store knew my name and had my order memorized(Large "Deep Pan"- it's defintely not deep dish. Cheese only with extra sauce, which is something I started adding at the suggestion of a friend who described the pizza here as "very dry")

After 3 months of this chain-brand garbage (which only became appetizing after copious amounts of UV Blue and Monster) I decided to search for decent pizza. I asked the locals, and was told about a set of places called Pizza Luce. Upon glancing at their menu, they had a lot of oddities that Minnesotans may find charming for pizza toppings (... Hey, have you ever tried the baked potato pizza?) but to a trained eye seemed like trouble. Despite this, I order the simple classic*

* - sidenote: I only get one thing, and one thing only on a pizza. It's Cheese (and maybe extra sauce). If it's good pizza, that's all you need. About 20 pizza places in this country actually use good quality pepperoni and sausage and that's why I haven't had a topping on a slice since Clinton's 1st term.

60 minutes later (delivery + consumption) I drew to 2 conclusions:
1. Pizza Luce is the worst pizza I've ever had that wasn't frozen (that's a whole 'nother issue by the way)
2. Majority of the people in Minnesota wouldn't know a good slice of pizza if one was shot from Michigan Ave and landed on someone's skinny jeans in Uptown.

After eating this utter hell on thin crust, I kept on seeking and scouring the metro area for good pizza. I found a lot of mid-range spots. (Best delivery pizza in St. Paul - Hot City Pizza down 7th street, google it) and then I was told about a place called Savoy Pizza. A truly tasty pizza, with the right amount of spice and kick in their sauce, and enough cheese to keep any Wisconsssinnn people from bitching. But there was still this void deep in my stomach. I was missing what made pizza one of, if not the greatest foods in history. I needed a slice of Deep Dish.

Now, I mentioned earlier how Domino's has "Deep Pan" and not Deep Dish? Just because it's made in a deep pan does NOT Make it a fucking deep dish pizza.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pizza) Wikipedia explains masterfully how Deep Dish is made

Months later, a friend took me to a place connected to a mall called Green Mill. While going over the menu and seeing "deep dish" expecting another pan pizza, I see someone else's order arrive at a table across from us, and I nearly burst into happy tears. A real deep dish pan was being served. This place proved legit. As I ordered and devoured my pizza (and contemplated stealing one of the well seasoned cast iron pans - hard to find since few up here can make deep dish) I realised how fortunate I was to grow up with the World's Greatest Pizza in my backyard, and I hope to pass on to people in this state just how real pizza is done.

I'm a pizza snob. And I'm proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment